June 5, 2011

REVIEW: Trix CE 6/8 Swiss Crocodile 12413

Swiss Federal Railways class Ce 6/8


This is my first locomotive.  This is the reason I picked the Gotthard line as my subject.  The availability of this one model set in motion many years of activity, and there shall be many more to come.   This engine is articulated, it bends, so on a curve it literally curves with the line.  Take a look at the wheels, the pushrods, this engine seems to bridge the gap between the steam and modern eras.  Once warmed up this engine is a good runner, though the small end wheels can be finicky about bad track or switches.

The SX decoder in here has the stink of yesterday's technology to it- not very customizable, not many speed steps, but it also is the best option I've had thus far.  Roco also makes a Swiss crocodile, I have it, and theirs can take an NEM 651 6 pin decoder (on a harness) but it's ridiculously hard to install.  See my future post on this.  I cannot imagine why Trix and Fleishmann do not offer a DCC crocodile today, I know I'd snap one up, as would many others.


The manufacturer says:




Built starting in 1926. World famous electric heavy freight locomotive type, known as The Crocodile. 


Model: Era III, comes with built-in Selectrix Decoder, motor with bell-shaped armature, 6 axles powered, 4 traction tires. Length over buffers 125 mm.

A specially heavy, powerful locomotive able to master steep grades on a curving line was needed for freight service on the Gotthard route. Locomotives were developed in the classes Be 6/8 III and Ce 6/8 III.  The articulated design of these units fulfilled the long-standing requirement for trouble-free transport of freight over the Gotthard.



No comments:

Post a Comment